Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Gavin Fairfax Ltd of Virginia Water -Triumph Car dealers 43

Gavin Fairfax Ltd of Station Parade, Virginia Water. Surrey are the feature business in this short article.


Gavin Fairfax Ltd traded for many years from premises adjacent to the railway station in Virginia Water, Surrey, UK.
They sold and serviced serveral brands from the BMC, British Leyland group. The tax disc above is from the era when the garage was a Rover area dealer and also held franchise for Austin, Morris and Triumph motor cars.
They held the Rover franchise over a long period as this rear window sticker show. As the car shown is a early Rover P6 the sticker must date from before 1970 and could be as early as 1963.

The business was bought by the Stratstone Group.  Gavin Fairfax Limited company number 831261 was established 15 December 1964 and changed its name to Statstone (Virginia Water) Limited on 1 January 1977.

A liquidator was appointed to a company called Gavin Fairfax (Laleham) Limited on 6th March 1972.

There was an earlier business with the same name as evidenced by the earlier window sticker illustrated above.  Unfortunately, as of yet, I have been unable to find any details other than its name.  I have read that they sold Jaguar cars at some point in their history.

I have Gavin Fairfax Ltd listed as Rover and Land Rover dealers in 1961 and as selling the Bond Equipe GT.  Stratstone were trading from Station Parade as a Jaguar dealer in 1978.

Some old adverts 

Gavin Fairfax advert from eBay
Gavin Fairfax advert from eBay

Gavin Fairfax Ltd advert Motor 16October 1963
Gavin Fairfax Ltd advert Motor 16October 1963
t
Stratstone advert from Autocar 20 October 1978
Stratstone advert from Autocar 20 October 1978

Gavin Fairfax Garage - a Memory of Virginia Water

I found this on the Francis Frith website:

Does anyone have any memories or photos of the garage at station parade, I lived there from 1957 to 1960 at flat Number 3, the building was typical of the 1930s with white rendered walls and castle style crenelations at the top. I recall the neon signs at the front elevation of the building (glowing in red and green) at night it was a BP branded petroleum sales site with Standard Rover and Jaguar marques. a showroom and a cafe at the end of the building near the station.
A memory shared by Keith Norris on Dec 9th, 2007.

Triumph dealers in Virginia Water

October 1955
Gavin Fairfax Ltd, Wentworth Garage, Virginia Water. phone Wentworth 3154

1959, 1964, 1965, 1968
Gavin Fairfax Ltd, Wentworth Service Garage, Virginia Water. phone Wentworth 3154

1972
Gavin Fairfax Ltd, Wentworth Service Garage, Virginia Water. phone 09904 2871

1974
Gavin Fairfax Ltd, Wentworth Service Garage,Station Parade phone 09904 2871 sales, service, parts phone 09904 2928

In Rover Triumph dealer directory from May 1975 they are listed as Gavin Fairfax Ltd, Wentworth Service Garage,Station Parade, GU25 4AZ.  phone 09904 2871 sales, service, parts phone 09904 2928 - and are dealers for Rover Triumph and Land Rover product.

Plea for information

If you have any more information or recollections about Gavin Fairfax Ltd of Virginia Water Station Parade Surrey, photos of window stickers, dealer badges or sill plates etc please let me know.  I can be contacted via the comments to this post or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/stephen.weblin

Further information and sources

Link to the other articles in this series.

Link to face book page: Triumph Car Dealers.

Link to my Triumph Car Dealers Flickr group which includes many photos of Standard Triumph garages etc from my collection and many other contributors .

I have a collection of Standard Triumph car dealer directories: http://vitessesteve.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/triumph-car-dealer-directories.html

Picture credits:Supplied by Wentworth Service Garage photo from I Say Ding Dong website; Tax disc holder from facebook; old Rover window sticker from a post on the Classis Rover forum.

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:12 pm

    I have just acquired a 49 year old MGBGT Automatic (a rare vehicle) that was serviced at Gavin Fairfax Ltd for its 6000 and 9000 services in 1972 and 1974

    Chris Wood chris.wood51@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I lived at flat 2 of the Fairfax garage from 1952 to 1964. My dad was a mechanic at the garage and I have many many memories of the garage. It was a white castellated building, we lived above the station cafe which although now a new building has a Costa Coffee in the same position. Sadly I don't have any pictures of the garage, as a family having a camera was a rarity. I went to St Anne's primary school and Egham Hythe Secondary. I remember the owner of the garage well Gavin Fairfax, he used to drive round in an old Land rover and from memory had a small farm. As a 5 year old I used to go with my dad on a Sunday to deliver new Morris Minors to customers, some lived quite a distance plus the garage had a few celebrity customers that lived on Wentworth. The memories just go on and on

      Delete
    2. I lived at flat 2 of the Fairfax garage from 1952 to 1964. My dad was a mechanic at the garage and I have many many memories of the garage. It was a white castellated building, we lived above the station cafe which although now a new building has a Costa Coffee in the same position. Sadly I don't have any pictures of the garage, as a family having a camera was a rarity. I went to St Anne's primary school and Egham Hythe Secondary. I remember the owner of the garage well Gavin Fairfax, he used to drive round in an old Land rover and from memory had a small farm. As a 5 year old I used to go with my dad on a Sunday to deliver new Morris Minors to customers, some lived quite a distance plus the garage had a few celebrity customers that lived on Wentworth. The memories just go on and on

      Delete
  2. My 1976 Mimosa Triumph stag was first registered by Gavin Fairfax in January and then sold to a private buyer in June 1976

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am Keith Norris, I posted the comments on the Francis Frith site several years ago.
    I lived at flat number 3 from September 1957 to mid 1960,my father was a mechanic in Gavin's workshop.
    I also went to St Anne's school.
    I have been searching for years for a photograph of the garage but I have only found an aerial shot taken in 1949 that only shows part of the building.
    I knew a boy called Phillip Day did he live in number 1?
    Contact me on krn1592@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crossleydd424:55 pm

    I was an office boy, from 1954 to 1956 for a firm of Building and Civil Engineers called Sir Lindsay Parkinson, based in Shaftesbury Avenue. A E Parkinson, the MD, lived in Virginia Water and owned a Rolls Royce which Gavin Faifax serviced. Periodically, I'd go down there by train from Waterloo and pay the bill for the service. He was above doing it himself, or the company paid!

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your comments with your name and email address. Generally I do not publish anonymous comments and cannot reply if you do not give me a clue as to who you are!

Thanks very much for your comment.