Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Swan Motors of Yardley, Birmingham - Triumph Car Dealers 23D

This very short article in my series about Triumph car dealers features Birmingham dealer Swan Motors of Yardley.
Swan Motors invoice 14 March 1961
Swan Motors invoice 14 March 1961

Swan Motors, 1628 Coventry Road, Yardley, Birmingham 26 were Austin, Standard and Triumph car dealers at the time of this invoice in 1961.  Thanks to http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/bedford-dormobile.htm the source of the image of the invoice shown above.

I have records from my collection of dealer directories that Swan Motors held the Standard Triumph franchise in October 1955, 1959,  August 1961 when they were said to be open 7 days a week, February 1965, September 1968, March 1970 until March 1972.

Swan Motors ran from the site for many years.  At one point it ran a hire shop and I can remember hiring an engine crane from them back in the 1990's.  For along time they offered MOT's.

A successor business called SAS Autos still has a connection with the old Leyland era in that it was a MG Rover dealer and is a XPart AutoService centre.  

Swan Motors of Yardley tax disc holder

Swan Motors of Yardley tax disc holder
I found this image of a Swan Motors branded tax disc holder on facebook.

Plea for information

If you have any more information or recollections about this garage, photos of window stickers, dealer badges or sill plates etc please let me know.  I can be contacted via the comments to this post or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/stephen.weblin

Other Triumph car dealers in the Birmingham area

Link to a post about All Electric Garage .

Link to my post about P J Evans Ltd

Link to post about Cranmore Bros Ltd 

Link to Spot Garage (Northfield) Limited

Further information and sources

Link to the other articles in this series.

Link to face book page: Triumph Car Dealers.

Link to my Triumph Car Dealers Flickr gallery of images I have found on Flickr.

Link to face book page: Triumph Car Dealers.

Link to my Triumph Car Dealers Flickr group .

I have a collection of Standard Triumph car dealer directories: http://vitessesteve.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/triumph-car-dealer-directories.html

Picture credits: Swan Motors invoice 14 March 1961 from the oldclassiccar website: http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/bedford-dormobile.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign your comments with your name and email address. Generally I do not publish anonymous comments and cannot reply if you do not give me a clue as to who you are!

Thanks very much for your comment.