Sunday, March 17, 2019

Roger Tiplady Garage of Ossett - Triumph Car Dealer 82

This short post is about Roger Tiplady Ltd, Dewsbury Garage, Ossett a Triumph car dealer.  Ossett is a market town in within the metropolitan district of the City of Wakefield, West Yorkshire, England, UK.

This article was prompted by seeing a photo of a badge attached to the fascia of a early Triumph Herald owned by Gavin Radford.

Roger Tiplady Ltd dealer badge
Roger Tiplady Ltd dealer badge

Roger Tiplady Ltd dealer badge of glove box lid
Roger Tiplady Ltd dealer badge of glove box lid
And here is the 1962 Triumph Herald.
It was reported in the London Gazette that the Roger Tiplady Limited company was dissolved on 6 May 1975.
The garage sold Austin car and parts at sometime in its history.  Alan Cain has dealer directories showing them to be an Austin dealer from 1960 to 1964.

Triumph dealers in Osset

October 1961:
Red Lion Garage, Owl Lane, phone 561

The directories that I have dated February 1965, September 1968, March 1970, March 1972,  March 1974 and May 1975 show  no Triumph dealer.

Were Roger Tiplady Ltd actually ever appointed as an official Triumph car dealer?

Plea for information

If you have any more information or recollections about Roger Tiplady Garage of Ossett, photos of window stickers, dealer badges or sill plates etc please let me know. I can be contacted via the comments to this post or on facebook at https://www.facebook.com/stephen.weblin

Further information and sources

Link to the other articles in this series.

Link to facebook page: Triumph Car Dealers.

Link to my Triumph Car Dealers Flickr group which includes many photos of Standard Triumph garages etc from my collection and many other contributors .

Link to my Triumph Car Dealers Flickr gallery of images I have found on Flickr.

I have a collection of Standard Triumph car dealer directories: http://vitessesteve.blogspot.co.uk/2016/03/triumph-car-dealer-directories.html

Picture credits: Roger Tiplady Ltd dealer badge and Herald photos from Gavin Radford; Austin advert posted on facebook by Annie-Marie.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:21 am

    The only things I can tell you about Roger Tiplady was that his car showroom was next to a secondhand car dealer,name of Stables,who carried on business immediately adjacent to the Queensway roundabout at Ossett.Mr Tiplady's showroom was next door moving towards Wakefield.My Dad told me that Mr Tiplady lost an eye in a car accident,I believe in Dewsbury Rd Leeds,while driving his Mk11 3.8 Jag at speed.The car ended up in someone's garden.I can't remember whether or not he had a Triumph dealership,although I clearly remember his cars being posher than Stables'.For some reason I 've got it into my head that he was a Ford dealer,but there was a big Ford dealer already in Bradford Rd Dewsbury/Batley.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roger Tiplady was my father. His garage was a main Austin agency but he did sell other brands as well. The above poster is well informed regarding my father's accident. He passed away in 1970.

    ReplyDelete

Please sign your comments with your name and email address. Generally I do not publish anonymous comments and cannot reply if you do not give me a clue as to who you are!

Thanks very much for your comment.